POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Rendering LARGE pov files : Re: Rendering LARGE pov files Server Time
5 Sep 2024 18:21:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Rendering LARGE pov files
From: Mario Splivalo
Date: 15 Dec 1999 12:44:30
Message: <MPG.12c19024acb6a6c2989684@news.povray.org>
In article <38576D07.7DFB478E@bbsrc.ac.uk>, sim### [at] bbsrcacuk
says...
> Hi,
>
> 	Is there anything I can do to increase my chances of getting these to
> parse without errors??  I already have 128Mb RAM and that won't parse a
> 6Mb .pov file - some of my files are >100Mb!!, so I suspect that just
> adding more RAM won't completely cure it.  I have plenty of HDD space so
> I can give it all the virtual memory it could need, if that is any use.
> Is this just the sort of file that POV hates and I should find another
> way to get these pictures??

Hey!

What platform are you using to do so? I had troubles rendering huge .pov
files (meshes, yes...) using just DOS, on Intel. U can help yourself a
bit using some 3rd party program as VMEM, that simulates memory out of
disk, but then it gets too slow. Under Win32 (NT 4 actually) i had no
problems dealing with 10mb .pov files. The same goes for Solaris, the
largest one was some animation, .pov was like 12 megs, and Sun SPARC20
took like 2 hrs to parse and render a frame....

	Mike